We’ve heard consistent requests from our customers for curated, optimized Ubuntu images for Google Cloud Platform, which is why we are now offering Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 12.04 LTS and 14.10 guest images in Beta at no additional charge. These are maintained by Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, so they are always up to date and secure from first boot. These images include Canonical and Google authored optimizations to improve the performance on Google Compute Engine without breaking compatibility.
Canonical maintained images are continually tested and updated, following Ubuntu’s best-practices, and delivering these attributes for Google Cloud Platform:
- Fast: Short instance boot times quickly scale server fleets
- Tailored: Ubuntu images are optimized to Google Cloud Platform environment
- Secure: Up-to-date images deliver security from first boot with rapid, automated patching in case of vulnerabilities
- Automated: Image deployment automation streamlines Ubuntu usage
- Rapid and Flexible: Mirror repositories within Google Compute Engine will enable customers to easily and quickly add software to customize their instances with near-zero download times
We’d love to have you take these images for a trial run. Try it here and give us your feedback.
– Posted by Martin Buhr, Product Manager
Feed Source: Google Cloud Platform Blog
Article Source: Curated Ubuntu Images now available on Google Cloud Platform