Wow! Twenty five (25) external and internal contributors worked together to create this edition of the AWS Week in Review. If you would like to join the party (with the possibility of a free lunch at re:Invent), please visit the AWS Week in Review on GitHub.
New & Notable Open Source
- aws-rotate-key easily rotates AWS keys.
- cognito-authenticator-cli retrieves AWS access keys from Cognito via the CLI.
- saml-2-aws is a CLI tool which enables you to login and retrieve AWS temporary credentials using SAML with ADFS 3.x.
- aws-tools are some useful tools to manage AWS.
- cloudformation-simple-cli is a command line tool for installing, updating, and deleting AWS projects created via AWS CloudFormation.
- cloudfront-signer is a Ruby gem for signing Amazon CloudFront private content URLs and streaming paths.
- cog-cmd is a set of Cog commands for interacting with CloudFormation.
- aws-node-kickoff initializes EC2 with a Node Server.
- aws-proxy is a reverse proxy to AWS.
- python-run-lambda consists of utilities for locally running and testing Python Lambda functions.
New SlideShare Presentations
- AWSome Day Leeds.
- Managing Data with Voume Velocity, and Variety with Amazon ElastiCache for Redis.
- Deep Dive on Amazon DynamoDB.
- Getting started with Amazon DynamoDB.
- Getting Started with Amazon Redshift.
- Deep Dive on Amazon Aurora.
- Introduction to Amazon Aurora.
- Getting Started with Amazon ElastiCache.
- Database Migration – Simple, Cross-Engine and Cross-Platform Migration.
- Amazon Relational Database Service Deep Dive.
- Streaming Data Analytics with Kinesis Firehouse and Redshift.
New Customer Success Stories
- City of Chicago used AWS for the flexibility and agility to launch OpenGrid, Chicago’s highest profile technology release to date. OpenGrid is a real-time, open source situational awareness program intended to improve the quality of life for citizens and improve efficiency of city operations.
- Dable develops Omni-channel Personalization Platforms that recommend products/contents customers might be interested in based on big data. The company uses AWS Lambda, Amazon Lambda, and Amazon Redshift to analyze data in real time so it can provide customers with recommended services in a short period of time and in the most cost-effective way.
- Gett scales to keep up with 300 percent annual growth, saves $800,000 yearly, and gains new business insights using AWS. The company provides an online taxi reservation service used by millions of people in Europe, Israel, and the US. Gett runs its website and mobile web application on AWS, relying on Amazon EC2 Spot Instances to optimize costs.
- Kyowa Hakko Kirin began using AWS with its production run for SAP ERP, an enterprise resource-planning software. Kyowa Hakko Kirin is a pharmaceutical company that manufactures and sells prescription drugs. As the company continues migrating nearly all its systems and data off of physical servers and into the cloud, it is making further progress and reducing costs through strategies such as using reserved instances and stopping unnecessary instances on weekends. The company is developing its cloud data center as a result.
- National Bank of Canada’s Global Equity Derivatives Group (GED) uses AWS to process and analyze hundreds of terabytes of financial data, conduct data manipulations in one minute instead of days, and scale and optimize its operations. GED provides stock-trading solutions and services to a range of organizations throughout the world. The organization runs its data analysis using the TickVault platform on the AWS Cloud.
New YouTube Videos
- “Caching at Netflix: The Hidden Microservice” by Scott Mansfield
- “Put A Type On It: Idris Type Providers for AWS Resources” by Susan Potter
- AWS Partner Webinars – September & October.
- September 20 (Barcelona, Spain) – Meetup on Serverless Architectures of the AWS User Group Barcelona.
- September 21 (Seoul, Korea) – Monthly Meetup ofthe AWS Korea User Group.
- September 22 (Milan, Italy) – AWS Lambda Zombie Workshop.
- September 28 (London, UK) – Meetup #22 of the AWS User Group UK in London.
- September 29 (Ipswich, UK) – Meetup #1 of the new Ipswich AWS User Group.
- September 29 (Cork, Ireland) – Learn how to get started with the AWS Cloud at the AWS AWSome Day in Cork.
- September 29 (Cork, Ireland) – Meetup #2 of the AWS User Group Network Meetup in Cork.
- September 29 (Katowice, Poland) – Meetup #17 of the AWS User Group Poland in Katowice.
- September 29 (Sofia, Bulgaria) – Meetup of the AWS Bulgaria User Group in Sofia.
- October 13 (Warsaw, Poland) – Meetup of the Public Cloud User Group in Warsaw, Poland.
- Teridion Channel Sales Manager / Evangelist (AWS Focused).
- Teridion Sales Engineer (AWS Customer & Partner).
- AWS Careers.