I am pleased to announce the following with Brian Teeman leading this overdue and needed core en-GB standardisation.
The PLT have accepted the proposal to review and standardise all the en-GB language strings in the core of Joomla based on the style guide that you can see here (until it gets a permanent home).
- The official language of Joomla is en-GB and yet the actual strings we use have been created, over 10 years, many by people who are not native en-GB speakers.
- Create a style guide to standardise the correct usage of en-GB and assist anyone writing language strings for Joomla.
- A secondary aim is that this style guide can be used as a basis for translation teams.
- Traditional rules of grammar do not always apply to the web. See Break Grammar Rules on Websites for Clarity
- Establish official style guidelines for writing en-GB strings.
- Ensure consistency throughout Joomla.
- Provide translation teams with an easy framework and guidelines to create their own style guides.
- See NNG on American vs British english for the web
- The style guide is a living document that may be updated and added to over time as the need arises.
- The style guide will be maintained by native en-GB speakers.
- Words to watch
Nothing in Stage 1 will effect Translation Teams
- Module and plugin descriptions
- Action or Description
There may be items in Stage 2 that will effect Translation Teams
- Create a home for the style guide
- Create ability for TT to fork the style guide and host centrally
- Formulate a process for en-GB team to review any new or changed string before it is committed to core.
- Promote style guide to extension and template developers to encourage them to adopt it.
Thanks to those already involved and their hard work towards bringing about these changes.
Feed Source: Leadership Blog
Article Source: Announcement en-GB User Interface Text Working Group